I don't like Christian music. In fact, I pretty much hate it.
("WHAT!" they all say with disbelief)
[First of all, maybe I should restate the above statement as: I don't like CCM music. However, most people consider Christian music and CCM music to be one and the same, which is why I said "Christian" in my first statement.]
I have a variety of reasons for disliking "Christian music" and they range from personal bias to what I hope is reasonable. One of the reasons I hate it is because of the safe-ness of "Christian music".
Safe-ness. This quality is most frequently seen in radio singles; it basically entails a song that has absolutely no potential of offending or making anyone uncomfortable, and is basically uncreative in musical and lyrical style. Like pretty much all radio singles, they are developed to be pleasing to the public and the whims of the popular music critics (in the case of "Christian" radio singles that would be CCM Magazine, etc).
This type of music is widely listened to by Christian homeschooling (or Christian private schooling) families who want their children to be able to listen to popular music that is "fun for the kids" and not offensive to the parents' values.
I believe that parents are right in monitoring what their young children listen to--as parents they have the responsibility to protect their child from *cough* trash. However, this trend has caused a demand for more "family friendly" radio stations (google "family friendly radio stations" and see how many you find). Because of this demand there are now many many radio stations that are created or converted to making "family friendliness" their biggest promotional slogan. As I noted earlier, having stations for families with young children is not a bad thing at all; however, this demand has created the near absence of "Christian" stations that will play anything else. These "safe" stations are excellent for young children but for the most part I think they are leaving the teenagers excluded. Drawing from my own experience--which I realize is biased to some degree--I know that the very idea of listening to an hour of Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin, Newsboys' worship tunes, Natalie Grant, and Matthew West gives me the strong impulse to play U2's rather looked-down-upon song "Get On Your Boots" from the top of my roof at the highest volume possible ("Satan loves a bomb scare but he won't scare you").
My point is that I believe that this accumulation of "safe" stations has/will cause many Christian teens who are growing up and trying to figure out who they are separate from their families to possibly be driven to rebel and turn the other direction [enter Eminem, Kanye West, Beyonce, and every other musician you really wouldn't want your kids listening to].
Obviously, it would be tragic for these teens to avoid any music with a Christian worldview, which is why I think it is important for there to be radio stations and artists who are willing to get out of the cliche box of radio formulas designed to gain popularity with parents and DJs who think their children can't handle anything more alternative than tobyMac's "Lose My Soul".
Until this happens in my area, "Christian" radio has my eternal scorn (I might even rate it as worse than country music)
4 comments:
"Praise 106.5, your family friendly station..."
Have you heard the testimonials that 106.5 has? Like the ones about how "it's so encouraging and uplifting" or, the best one I've heard yet..."I had trouble getting to sleep at night, but when I turn on your praise music, I just go right to sleep."
I have a couple other thoughts on "family friendliness, but I don't have time to put them down right now, so...later sometime.
Ok, so..."family friendliness"
I think that on the one hand, there are some aspects of a family friendly playlist that are quite desirable: it is completely safe for children to listen to, so parents can just tell their kids to listen to the one, and they don't have to keep a wary ear for something that might not be ok; also, if a station is family friendly, it can become a daily "staple", and lend some stability and constancy in a family life that may not be in the best shape.
However, there are some distinct drawbacks to this "safety." A couple immediately come to mind: one, that in contriving to provide this safety, much of the message becomes lost and thus powerless to really be effective; and two, that perhaps "safety" is not all it's cracked up to be -- should we not be so involved in our childrens' lives as to teach them how to think and use their conscience and reason to evaluate the quality of what they listen to, so that they are able to discern harmful influence when they hear (or see) it, rather than simply trying to utterly shield them from even ever perceiving the characteristics of evil?
the drawbacks that you listed was what i was trying to get at...perhaps i did not succeed doing that as well as i intended?
you started your post accusing christian music and ended it with christian radio...
Post a Comment