Here are some of what I thought were the best quotes from Lieutenant General Romeo Dallaire in his book Shake Hands with the Devil about the Rwandan genocide.
“What I have come to realize as the root of it all, however, is the fundamental indifference of the world community to the plight of seven to eight million black Africans in a tiny country that had no strategic or resource value to any world power. An overpopulated little country that turned in on itself and destroyed its own people, as the world watched and yet could not manage to find the political will to intervene. Engraved still in my brain is the judgment of a small group of bureaucrats who came to ‘assess’ the situation in the first weeks of the genocide: ‘We will recommend to our government not to intervene as the risks are high and all that is here are humans.’”
“I have witnessed and also suffered my share of recriminations and accusations, politically motivated ‘investigations’ and courts martial. Monday-morning quarterbacking, revisionism and outright lies since I got back to Canada in September 1994—none of that will bring back the dead or point the way forward to a peaceful future. Instead, we need to study how the genocide happened not from the perspective of assigning blame—there is too much to go around—but from the perspective of how we are going to take concrete steps to prevent such a thing from ever happening again. To properly mourn the dead and respect the potential of living, we need accountability, not blame. We need to eliminate from this earth the impunity with which the genocidaires were able to act, and re-emphasize the principle of justice for all, so that no one for even a moment will make the ethical and moral mistake of ranking some humans as more human than others, a mistake that the international community endorsed by its indifference in 1994.”
“But many signs point to the fact that the youth of the Third World will no longer tolerate living in circumstances that give them no hope for the future. From the young boys I met in the demobilization camps in Sierra Leone to the suicide bombers of Palestine and Chechnya, to the young terrorists who fly planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, we can no longer afford to ignore them. We have to take concrete steps to remove the causes of their rage, or we have to be prepared to suffer the consequences.
The global village is deteriorating at a rapid pace, and in the children of the world is rage. It is the rage I saw in the eyes of the teenage Interahamwe militiamen in Rwanda, it is the rage I sensed in the hearts of the children of Sierra Leone, it is the rage I felt in crowds of ordinary civilians in Rwanda, and it is the rage that resulted in September 11. Human beings who have no rights, no security, no future, no hope and no means to survive are a desperate group who will do desperate things to take what they believe they need and deserve.”
“Several times in this book I have asked the question, ‘Are we all human, or are some more human than others?’ Certainly we in the developed world act in a way that suggests we believe that our lives are worth more than the lives of other citizens of the planet. An American officer felt no shame as he informed me that the lives of 800,000 Rwandans were only worth risking the lives of ten American troops; the Belgians, after losing ten soldiers, insisted that the lives of Rwandans were not worth risking another Belgian soldier. The only conclusion I can reach is that we are in desperate need of a transfusion of humanity. If we believe that all humans are human, then how are we going to prove it? it can only be proven through our actions. Through the dollars we are prepared to expend to improve conditions in the Third World, through the time and energy we devote to solving devastating problems like AIDs, through the lives of our soldiers, which we are prepared to sacrifice for the sake of humanity.”
“After one of my many presentations following my return from Rwanda, a Canadian Forces padre asked me how, after all I had seen and experienced, I could still believe in God. I answered that I know there is a God because in Rwanda I shook hands with the devil. I have seen him, I have smelled him and I have touched him. I know the devil exists, and therefore I know there is a God.”
2 comments:
The final paragraph is quite interesting, and it seems to place forefront in my thoughts the answer to all these problems: salvation of human souls. All things good of humanity have, as far as I am aware, resulted through the blood of Jesus Christ working out in the lives of individuals down through the resulting groups, organizations, governments, and societies those individuals form. Looking at the bigger, historical picture, financial, martial, and medical assistance has been the result of Christ working down through people who know they are His, who do not know they are not His, and who know they are not His. Thus, salvation of souls so that material benefits will come seems to be the logical path.
I'm not trying to say, "They need a constant, consistent supply of health care, food, water, etc, so let's get them saved" as the priority (ie, physical sustenance is most important, and since salvation logically comes--in humanly ideal circumstances--before physical sustenance, we should get them saved for the sake of their bodies). That should NOT be our purpose. We want their souls to be sustained forever.
On a personal note, this reminds me of thoughts I've had about offering or providing--whether people want it or not--law enforcement, security, or vigilante services ... with a weird spin. Why not a bunch of Christian guys with military, tactical, or special weapons training go out into the world for free, being examples of godly character, and round up wanted, dangerous, evil persons, and deliver them to the lawful authorities for punishment? We wouldn't truly be law enforcement because we wouldn't work for a government. We wouldn't be security because we wouldn't be hired. We wouldn't be vigilante because we wouldn't be delivering justice (punishing or disciplining crime). I've thought it always sounded like a cool idea, but ... yeah, a personal note. =)
I think your idea wouldn't be bad at all. Dangerous--yes. But breathing is dangerous...
Post a Comment