Thursday, September 17, 2009

oh, how i would loathe to be a leader


Americans are truly a fickle group of people. We elect a man to be our president, some of us insisting that said man is a "savior" and then everyone decides to hate him when he doesn't do everything he promised during his campaign within the first month of being in office.

But then, there were the people who hated him before he was even elected. Yeah, the Republicans. (And just so you all know, the above illustration is a screencap of a Facebook app that I found while on one of my friend's profiles.) I've also heard rumors of a private method of brightening up your day. Try creating a folder on your computer, label it "Barack Obama" and then proceed to place said folder in the trash can. Oh, and most importantly, for long term results, do this everyday--it'll make you feel so much better! I feel giddy already [sarcasm].

I remember the night before the 2008 election, my family received a forwarded email from some influential pastor (I could be wrong on the exact occupation of the emailer) who disclosed that he had spent ___ number of hours on his knees praying that somehow Obama would not win the election. He felt that God had given him his request so he proceeded to email everyone on his contact list telling them the great news of how righteousness shall prevail, in the end McCain shall win. Obviously, McCain lost, Obama won. Ironic eh? I really wonder what happened to the man who felt so sure that God had answered his prayer? What was his reaction the next day when he was told/heard/read that Barack Obama was now the President of the United States....and McCain was defeated?

I shall be forever amazed at vehement words and degradation President Obama has received from fundamental Christians. It's as if the bearer's of the name of a peaceful yet shocking man who lived a very long time ago have completely forgotten everything He ever said about treating one's enemies. No, I won't quote the exact chapter and verse for you because I want you to think about going and finding said passages. Please, dust off the book you tell the world you follow and acquire a practice of forgiveness.

No comments: